Quite correctly, Lightroom 4 reads the AspectFrame metadata of raw files and crops the photo accordingly on import. The only drawback of this approach is, that it is not possible to change this later on in Lightroom.
As a reaction to this, I sat down and got into Lua, in order to write a little plugin automating the exiftool workflow proposed in some user forums.
The workflow looks as follows:
- A new menu entry “DeAspect current selection” is added in the Library menu.
- If the entry is called without a selection, nothing happens.
- If the entry is called with a selection, the selected photos will be passed to
exiftool -AspectRatio=”" -AspectFrame=”0 0 0 0″ -DefaultCropOrigin=”" -DefaultCropSize=”" -CroppedImageWidth=”WIDTH” -CroppedImageHeight=”HEIGHT” -o “NEW” “ORIG”
- The newly created file NEW is then imported and stacked on top of the original photo.
- As a manual step, the previews should be re-rendered for the new files.
- exiftool needs to be installed and available on PATH
DeAspect by Tim Jagenberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
- New exiftool call
“exiftool -AspectRatio=”" -AspectFrame=”0 0 0 0″ -DefaultCropOrigin=”" -DefaultCropSize=”" -CroppedImageWidth=”WIDTH” -CroppedImageHeight=”HEIGHT” -o “NEW” “ORIG”"
reading WIDTH and HEIGHT from exiftool -ImageWidth -ImageHeight
works with DNG, ORF and CR2.
- Changed call from “exiftool.exe” to “exiftool” for cross platform compatibility
- New exiftool call
“exiftool -AspectRatio=”" -AspectFrame=”0 0 0 0″ -DefaultCropOrigin=”" -DefaultCropSize=”" -o “NEW” “ORIG”
works with DNG and ORF.
- Initial public release
Just to make it perfectly clear: This is my first, inexperienced work with Lua and Lightroom plugins, it is a quick and dirty solution. Let me cite section 5 and 6 from the cc-by-sa license agreement:
5. Representations, Warranties and Disclaimer
UNLESS OTHERWISE MUTUALLY AGREED TO BY THE PARTIES IN WRITING, LICENSOR OFFERS THE WORK AS-IS AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND CONCERNING THE WORK, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE ABSENCE OF LATENT OR OTHER DEFECTS, ACCURACY, OR THE PRESENCE OF ABSENCE OF ERRORS, WHETHER OR NOT DISCOVERABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SUCH EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
6. Limitation on Liability.
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL LICENSOR BE LIABLE TO YOU ON ANY LEGAL THEORY FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THIS LICENSE OR THE USE OF THE WORK, EVEN IF LICENSOR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.